This wonderfully colourful salad is painted with all the colours of spring. It is very easy to prepare, and perfect for an entree or a light lunch. The edible flowers although not essential to the salad, look oh so pretty and add a slight peppery taste.
- 2 avocados, firm and ripe
- 2 pink grapefruit, peeled and in segments with membrane removed
- 18 spears asparagus, ends trimmed
- 18 large green prawns, heads and track removed. Leave tail on
- 2 small hot red chillies
- 4 limes
- 2tbs soy sauce
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil and a little extra for cooking the prawns and asparagus
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
- Some edible flowers if you can find them
Firstly, preheat a chargrill or barbecue. Toss the prawns and the asparagus in a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Peel the avocados and cut crossways into 7mm slices – place in bowl and immediately squeeze the juice of 1 lime over them. Add the grapefruit segments and the 2 chillies finely sliced with seeds removed. Grill the prawns and asparagus until just cooked, the asparagus should be slightly crunchy. Place in bowl with grapefruit, avocado and chillies. Add the soy sauce, olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper (remember the soy sauce is salty). Toss gently and divide between 6 bowls.
Sprinkle with edible flowers and serve with half a lime wedge for some extra zing.